Rescue efforts continue as the storm travels across the region, leaving a trail of destruction.- Advertisement –
Aug 30, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) today announced a one-time allocation of $75 million in grants to help states, territories, and four metropolitan areas prepare for an influenza pandemic.In a news release, HHS said the money is to be used to establish or expand stockpiles of critical medical equipment and supplies; continue developing plans for maintaining, distributing, and sharing those resources; plan for and develop alternative sites for providing healthcare in a pandemic; and conduct medical surge exercises.The funding will supplement the $430 million allocation HHS announced on Jun 28 to help hospitals and other healthcare facilities prepare to respond to bioterrorism attacks, infectious disease outbreaks, and natural disasters that could cause mass casualties, the agency said.”The additional funding will provide our nation’s health care community with a means to continue planning, training and acquiring needed equipment for an effective pandemic response,” HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt said in the news release.The grants for states range from $352,673 for Wyoming to $5.48 million for California. The metropolitan areas with separate grants include Washington, DC, $364,024; Chicago, $836,685; New York City, $1.9 million; and Los Angeles County, $2.27 million.See also: Aug 30 HHS news releasehttp://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2007pres/08/20070830a.htmlJul 18 CIDRAP News story “HHS, DHS fund public health preparedness and emergency response”Jul 11 CIDRAP News story “HHS to give states $430 million for hospital preparedness”
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Etera – Stefan Björkman has been named chief executive of the Finnish pensions mutual, succeeding retiring chief executive and president Hannu Tarkkonen. Björkman joins from local bank Aktia, where he spent seven years, most recently as deputy managing director and CFO. He was also chief executive of dentistry chain Oral Hammaslääkäri and a partner at venture capital fund eVentures. In his nine years at lift manufacturer Kone Corporation, he held a number of positions within the business.BNY Mellon – Serge Futvoie, managing director at the bank, has stepped down as chair of the firm’s Belgian pension fund. He has been replaced by trained lawyer Mark Buyst, current head of remuneration and compliance. Buyst was previously the European head of human resources at BNY, and also spent a number of years at JP Morgan, becoming vice president for HR prior to joining his current employer.Kames Capital – Carolyn Bell joins the firm’s international equities team, responsible for portfolio management across the North American portfolio. She has previously worked at Baillie Gifford, covering North American, UK and Asian equities.Pictet Asset Management – Luke Chua has been appointed senior investment manager within the emerging market (EM) corporate bond team, based in London. Chua joins from Schroder Investment Management’s Singapore office, where he managed its EM corporate bond fund. He has also worked at AXA Investment Managers. Standard Life Investments – Johan Langerak has been named investment director for the Netherlands, working alongside Pat Woods. Lanerak, who has 20 years’ industry experience, previously worked at Bank J Safra Sarasin and ING Investment Management.
Denmark’s Industriens Pension made a 3.7% pre-tax return on investments in the first half of this year, with profits driven in particular by strong gains on its domestic equities investments.In its interim report, the labour-market pension fund for industrial and food-sector workers said its total assets had grown to DKK163bn (€22bn) from DKK157bn, in the first six months of 2017.Laila Mortensen, chief executive of Industriens Pension, said: “The first half was marked by rising contributions, more members and a really solid investment return.”The pension fund’s first half return is up from the 2.7% return produced in the same period last year. In absolute terms, the return was DKK5.6bn in the first half, compared to DKK3.6bn in the first half of 2016, and DKK11bn for the whole of 2016.Danish equities generated a 16.8% profit between January and June, private equity produced 7.8%, and corporate bonds returned between between 2.3% and 3.4%, the pension fund reported.On the other hand, government bonds had produced just 0.2% in return.The pension fund said the strong return on equities was due to the fact that economic growth had continued over the period, particularly in Europe, combined with the European Central Bank’s monetary policy.Industriens Pension fund also said in its report that it expected to receive a tax gain of DKK150m as a result of its recent court win alongside PensionDanmark and other Danish pension funds.The pension funds received a ruling from the National Tax Tribunal (Landsskatteretten) in their favour this summer in a case against the the Danish Customs and Tax Administration (SKAT), about taxes withheld from foreign investments between 2010 and 2014.PensionDanmark said at the end of August that it had added an extra DKK218m to its profit in the first six months of this year as a result of the court win.
By Rob NugentPOCOLA, Okla. (June 18) – Tate Cole took another Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modified checkered flag Saturday at Tri-State Speedway, this time ahead of H. Palmer and Jake Davis.Ken McCarty notched IMCA SportMod victory number three in as many weeks, with Dennis Slader in second and Caden Ellis third.
A rare Anfield off-day saw Liverpool drop two points in the race for Champions League places as Luis Suarez found his integrity called into question again. The Uruguay international won a contentious second-half penalty which Steven Gerrard converted to make it 2-2, despite goalkeeper Brad Guzan and his Aston Villa team-mates protesting he had barely touched the striker. After nine wins and only one defeat at home, the Reds had found themselves trailing to goals from Andreas Weimann and Christian Benteke inside 36 minutes. Suarez, with 45 goals in his previous 49 league games, had probably never endured a half so bereft of personal chances at Anfield. He was also treated with contempt by Villa’s backline and was twice left in a heap after Ciaran Clark’s knee caught him in the back of the thigh and Leandro Bacuna’s elbow connected with his head. Villa almost went ahead when Clark lost Kolo Toure at a corner but headed against the post. That warning was not heeded as Villa’s opener highlighted all that was wrong with Liverpool’s set-up. As Agbonlahor raced down the left, Weimann cantered forward the best part of 60 yards virtually unnoticed to get on the end of the cross at the far post. A tactical change saw an immediate switch to a back-three, with Glen Johnson employed as a makeshift centre-half with Sterling and Aly Cissokho wing-backs. It produced a brief moment of positivity as Sterling fired an angled shot at Guzan, but more holes were picked in Liverpool’s defence for Villa’s second. Agbonlahor exploited the space behind the newly-advanced Cissokho, and when Mignolet and Johnson both got in the way of each other trying to reach the cross, Benteke headed into an empty net. The half was well into added time when the home side carved out their only genuine chance and it resulted in a very timely goal. Suarez picked up the ball on the edge of the area and threaded a pass through to Henderson, whose back-heel into the path of Sturridge produced only one outcome. Change was inevitable for the second half, and while there would have been no reason not to replace the under-performing Gerrard with Lucas, it would have been a bold one so Coutinho was sacrificed. With the back four reinstated and a defensive screen placed in front, the impact was immediate as Gerrard and Henderson both moved closer to Liverpool’s main weapons Suarez and Sturridge. The freedom now afforded to the Reds and England captain allowed him more space to operate in and, having dropped deep, his raking pass perfectly picked out Suarez, who skipped into the area and was brought down by Guzan. Contact looked minimal, especially considering what the Uruguay international had sustained in the first half, but referee Jon Moss was in no doubt and Gerrard expertly converted from the spot. It was his fifth goal of the season and his 12th league goal against Villa – he has scored more against them than any other top-flight side – and drew him level with Robbie Fowler on that tally against the midlanders. With their tails up, Henderson drilled in a low shot which Guzan did well to parry low to his right while Suarez was inches wide with a 35-yard free-kick. Frustrations began to grow and Sturridge was lucky not to be punished for lashing out at Bacuna as Liverpool eventually ran out of ideas against doughty opponents. Liverpool’s principal owner John W Henry, watching his first home game since appointing Brendan Rodgers in the summer of 2012, must have wondered quite what was going on. However, Daniel Sturridge pulled a goal back on the stroke of half-time before Gerrard equalised soon after the break. For the first time in eight home league matches, 22-goal striker Suarez failed to score – missing the chance to equal Roger Hunt and Fernando Torres’ club record – but that was not Liverpool’s problem. Rodgers’ selection, dropping defensive midfielder Lucas Leiva to accommodate Sturridge’s first start since November 9, looked a bold one. With Gerrard and Jordan Henderson tasked with holding the midfield, it appeared Sturridge, Suarez, Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho were given licence to attack. It looked ambitious as what was effectively a 4-2-4 formation left Liverpool vulnerable to being dominated centrally. The portents were not good from the moment Gabriel Agbonlahor stabbed wide after just 48 seconds, with Ashley Westwood shooting straight at Simon Mignolet soon after. Villa seized what appeared an open invitation to dominate midfield and swarmed forward, giving their opponents no time on the ball. Press Association
After a positive start by last season’s Sky Bet Championship play-off winners, when striker Lewis Grabban had a great early chance, Palace went ahead with a well-taken finish from Wilfried Zaha. The Eagles doubled their lead at the start of the second half through captain Damien Delaney. However, substitute Nathan Redmond gave the Canaries hope with a 25-yard strike after 69 minutes before striker Cameron Jerome thought he had hooked in an equaliser – only for the goal to be ruled out for dangerous play. After the referee also turned down a late penalty appeal when Norwich defender Sebastien Bassong looked to have been pushed in the back by Connor Wickham, Palace scored a third in stoppage time through Yohan Cabaye, condemning Neil to defeat in his first match as a Premier League manager. Hooper was taking charge of his first Premier League game. Neil said of the big decisions: “If the lad was going to be potentially hurt by Cameron’s leg, then I think it might have been a foul, but I don’t think that was the case. Hi s studs are no way any danger of hitting the lad, so as far as I am concerned it was a perfectly good goal disallowed. “I am not going to sit here and criticise the referee, because they have difficult jobs, but when it affects the game and you potentially getting a point or three points, then it is frustrating. “By all accounts Seb should have had a penalty towards the end of the game, but we did not help ourselves at time with defending, which was extremely sloppy.” Palace boss Alan Pardew could see the Jerome disallowed goal decision from both sides. Pardew said: ” To be fair to the referee, if that is anywhere else on the pitch, then you are going to get a foul – in the penalty box, with an overhead kick going in (the goal) you are going to feel hard done by, so I can understand Norwich’s frustration.” Neil felt Norwich should have made more of their early promise. Norwich manager Alex Neil was left frustrated after two controversial decisions by rookie referee Simon Hooper cost his side in their Barclays Premier League opening 3-1 loss to Crystal Palace at Carrow Road. He said: “We had enough chances, certainly in the first 30 minutes, but at this level it is about turning that dominance into goals, and when you do not do that you will get punished at times, which is what happened.” Norwich have been linked with a £10million move for Dynamo Kiev’s Congo striker Dieumerci Mbokani. “We are looking to add another forward. At this level, you need quality at the top end of the pitch,” said Neil. “We have got good players there, but the squad needs a bit of help as well.” Pardew was glad to have watched his side come through after a slow start. “After about five minutes I realised I had picked the wrong team and realised the balance of the team was not very good,” he said. “Norwich were brilliant in the first 20 minutes and should have gone ahead, so we adjusted the wingers and that helped us, but a fter our second goal we got a bit comfortable. “Although we got a third with the last kick, no doubt the score flattered us because this was a game which was even and we just had some nice quality moments. “Sometimes as a manager your players have to get you out of jail, and at the end I thanked them for it.” Press Association
In just the first week of school for Martin County students, two groups of students are being required to quarantine at home after a child showed possible symptoms of COVID-19.Officials say on Friday a student at a Hobe Sound Elementary School showed symptoms of the virus. On Wednesday, a school district spokesperson said 24 students in a classroom at Seawind Elementary School near Hobe Sound must quarantine at home for two weeks after a student showed possible symptoms of COVID-19.Under the Martin County School District’s policy regarding COVID-19, the students must stay at home for 14 days.The school year started on Tuesday with about 38% of students opting for virtual learning, according to Gaylord, and the rest taking traditional in-classroom instruction.
Newcastle 2 Fulham 1Leon Best netted both Newcastle’s goals as Fulham slumped to a third consecutive defeat.Best broke the deadlock at St James’ Park three minutes after half-time when he followed up to score after goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer had saved Yohan Cabaye’s shot.AdChoices广告The striker then doubled the Magpies’ lead by firing home from Demba Ba’s cross.Fulham, again without injured forward Bobby Zamora, pulled one back when Danny Murphy’s late free-kick was headed in by Clint Dempsey – their first Premier League goal under manager Martin Jol.Beaten by Dnipro on Thursday and Wolves last weekend, the Whites did create chances and Magpies keeper Tim Krul produced a number of saves.Krul denied Murphy, Steve Sidwell and Chris Baird, while Fulham wide-man Damien Duff sent a shot into the side-netting.