Korea’s Hanwha Securities to stop financing Adani’s coal projects in Australia

first_imgKorea’s Hanwha Securities to stop financing Adani’s coal projects in Australia FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享The Guardian:A second major Korean backer of Adani’s Australian coal operation has said it won’t provide any more financial support for the controversial miner, which faces potential debt difficulties related to its Abbot Point export terminal.Guardian Australia has seen a letter from Korean brokerage firm Hanwha Securities – sent to the climate group Tipping Point on 30 July – which stated the firm would cease financing Adani’s coal projects.Last month, the ratings agency S&P Global downgraded its outlook on Adani’s Abbot Point terminal to “stable” after the company’s efforts to refinance debts were hindered by the coronavirus pandemic.The terminal’s Indian parent company, Adani Enterprises, urgently injected $100m needed to meet repayments due in May. Adani Abbot Point has also drawn down on about $170m of shareholder loans to pay off debt – owed to Commbank and Westpac – that was due to mature in November.Adani plans to export coal from its under-construction Carmichael mine from Abbot Point, which has total debts of about $1.5bn. Those debts include about $1.1bn due for repayment by December 2022, according to S&P Global.As the company postpones its efforts to refinance the most immediate Abbot Point debts, environmental activists have now secured withdrawal commitments from two large Korean financiers. Last month, Samsung group company Samsung Securities pledged to cease its financial backing of Adani, just days after protests began to target the group’s electronics branch.[Ben Smee]More: Second major Korean brokerage withdraws financial backing for Adani’s coal projectslast_img read more

Lambert expects survival

first_img Villa are currently in the bottom three but victory at the Britannia Stadium will leave them only one point adrift of the Potters, who have won only one of their last 11 games. Lambert takes heart from the performance levels and confidence shown by his players in recent weeks and said: “The thing for me is that they are confident in having the ball. It is not as if they are frightened by it and just want to launch the ball up the field. They are certainly play with a bit of freedom.” Paul Lambert is backing Aston Villa’s crop of youngsters to hold their nerve in the Barclays Premier League survival battle and believes the pressure is on Stoke ahead of Saturday’s clash. Press Associationcenter_img He added: “When you look at the table, from 11th place down only four points separate the teams down to us. That’s nothing. It’s basically just one game. “Everybody has to play some really hard fixtures. It’s how you hold your nerve. We try to keep the place upbeat and we don’t look like a team that is playing with nerves. “You have to have a strong mentality so the pressure doesn’t get to you and see it through. If you do that, that’s half the battle. “I have not spoken about relegation or anything like that. I think that breeds negativity. Form gives you confidence and we are playing well enough to get results.” Lambert has plenty of respect for the success Pulis has enjoyed with Stoke but knows it is an opportunity for Villa to drag the Potters back into the thick of the relegation battle. He said: “Maybe Tony didn’t visualise Stoke were going to be in this position after the start they had, but the reality is they are not too far ahead. I am sure Tony would like more points than he has got but we are only four points behind them. “The pressure is on them. It’s on Stoke because they are the home team and they haven’t won of late as well. There will be a lot of pressure there for Stoke as well as ourselves. It is a huge game. Every game you play is massive. We know if we win, we are only one point behind them and that’s the way to go and view it.” last_img read more

Pakistan ban Jamshed for one year in corruption probe

first_img(REUTERS) – Former Pakistan batsman Nasir Jamshed has been banned for a year for failing to cooperate with the Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) regarding an investigation into corruption, the governing body said yesterday.Jamshed, who has played 48 one-day internationals for Pakistan, was suspended from all forms of cricket in February for violating the PCB’s anti-corruption code.“Anti-Corruption Tribunal has imposed one-year ban on cricketer Nasir Jamshed for non-cooperation with PCB ACU. More charges will be brought up in the near future,” the PCB said on their official Twitter account.The 27-year-old did not participate in the first two editions of the Pakistan Super League (PSL but is alleged to have played a major role in the spot-fixing scandal that engulfed the Twenty20 tournament earlier this year.Batsmen Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif were handed five-year bans for their role in the scandal, while paceman Mohammad Irfan and all-rounder Mohammad Nawaz received respective suspensions for 12 and two months.last_img read more

Dreams FC to host Black Satellites in friendly

first_imgDreams FC will play against the Black Satellites at Dawu in a friendly on Sunday. The Kweiman side will use the exercise to prepare for upcoming games in the Premier League.C.K Akonnor’s side are without a competitive game this weekend as the MTN FA Cup returns after Dreams FC were eliminated from the competition by Okwahu United.The Black Satellites, now Coached by Mas-Ud Didi Dramani, are also preparing for the qualifiers of the 2017 African Youth Championship.Dreams FC have been impressive in the ongoing Ghana Premier League season and lies 3rdon the League log with 14 points after seven match days.The match will attract a flat rate of 3 Ghana cedis at the gates.The debutants will take on former Champions Kumasi Asante Kotoko at the Theatre of Dreams, Dawu when the League competition returns next week.  –Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoySportsGH. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

Tyson to reopen Waterloo meatpacking plant on Thursday

first_imgWATERLOO — Two weeks after being closed following an outbreak of COVID-19, the Tyson Fresh Meats plant in Waterloo is set to reopen.Company officials say Tyson’s largest pork processing facility will resume limited operations on Thursday.Today, workers are invited to tour the plant to see enhanced safety features that were put in place while the facility was idle.Tyson temporarily closed the Waterloo plant April 22 after local health officials linked a rapid rise in Black Hawk County’s coronavirus cases to the facility.Iowa Department of Public Health officials said Tuesday that 17 percent of the plant’s 2,800 employees – 444 – tested positive for COVID-19. Late last week, local health officials and community leaders toured the facility to review Tyson’s protocol to safely resume operations.Company officials say all Waterloo employees returning to work have been tested for COVID-19. Employees who have tested positive will remain on sick leave until released by health officials to return to work.Employees who have not been tested will be unable to return to their jobs and all new hires will be tested prior to starting their job.last_img read more

Coutinho set for Barca stay after Miami win over Napoli

first_imgPhilippe Coutinho is set to stay at Camp NouMiami, United States | AFP |  Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde claimed on Wednesday that Philippe Coutinho is set to stay at Camp Nou despite strong interest in the unsettled Brazilian from the Premier League.The latest status update came after Croatian Ivan Rakitic score a 79th-minute winner to see off Napoli 2-1 at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami.Former Liverpool forward Coutinho has distanced himself from a move to Tottenham — he was also linked with Arsenal — and with the transfer window in England closing Thursday, the chances of the 27 year-old returning to England appear slim.Former Barca forward Neymar, currently at Paris St. Germain, has also been touted to make a sensational return to the La Liga champions, although it has now been suggested that arch rivals Real Madrid are also weighing up a move.“The plan is to count on Coutinho,” Valverde stressed. “The transfer windows are open but we expect him to stay of course.“And as for Neymar, the last time I came to this stadium I had to answer a load of questions about him. Two years later and it’s the same again. It’s like it’s following me. I don’t know what is going to happen.”Croatian midfielder Rakitic struck with a crisply driven effort after an own-goal from Samuel Umtiti had cancelled out Sergio Busquet’s opener for the Spaniards.This was the first leg of two matches between these European giants with the second encounter taking place in Michigan on Saturday.“It was a pretty open game and we were able to give many of the squad some minutes so it was a positive outcome for us,” added Valverde, who is without the injured Lionel Messi for this US mini-tour.Antoine Griezmann, Barcelona’s $134 million signing from Atletico Madrid, was lively from the start, linking up well with strike partner Luis Suarez.Coutinho has traveled to the United States but wasn’t in the match day squad having been granted extra time off following his exertions at the Copa America last month. – Crowd backs Barcelona –It was the Italians, managed by former Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti, who created the more clear cut openings.A superb move on 18 minutes saw Lorenzo Insigne denied by a brilliant point blank save from Marc-Andre ter Stegen before Belgian Dries Mertens fired just wide.Barcelona were struggling to find any rhythm but seven minutes before the break, captain Busquets superbly curled home, much to the delight of the pro Barca crowd of 57,062.Three minutes later, however, Napoli deservedly drew level, ex-Real Madrid midfielder Jose Callejon’s effort was turned past Ter Stegen by Umtiti who endured a difficult half in defence, as did new signing Junior, the full-back who was making his debut.Suarez and Griezmann were both replaced at half-time but the game lacked the intensity of the opening exchanges with a succession of substitutions from both managers.With 23 minutes remaining, Ousmane Dembele hit the post with a curling effort but only Napoli’s Arkadiusz Milik will know how he missed from close range a few minutes later, the Polish forward somehow putting the ball over the bar with his chest.And the excellent Rakitic made Napoli pay by drilling in from the edge of the area to secure the win for Barcelona.“We created a lot of opportunities and we hope to play in a similar way in the next game,” said Ancelotti, who refused to confirm reports suggesting Colombian midfielder James Rodriguez was set to join Napoli on loan from Real Madrid.“Barcelona are a great team but I thought we competed well.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

On The Fringe: Tiger Woods closes chapter on California childhood

first_imgIn this Feb. 26, 1992 file photo, amateur Tiger Woods tees off at the 11th hole during the Pro-Am for the Los Angeles Open at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles. Woods made his PGA Tour debut at Riviera when he was a 16-year-old junior in high school. (AP Photo/Bob Galbraith, File)THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — Of all the memories from Tiger Woods’ roots in Southern California, it’s easy to overlook the time he made an appearance in the Tournament of Roses parade.OK, so he wasn’t the grand marshal. And he had just turned 18.Woods, coming off his first U.S. Amateur title, rode on the Chiropractic Centennial Foundation float that required seven tons of flowers to build. He wasn’t the only celebrity on the float on Jan. 2, 1995. Also riding were singer Lee Greenwood, Hall of Fame baseball player Joe Morgan and Olympic champion speedskater Cathy Turner.The majestic float was toward the end of the order, trailed only by the Icelandic Horse Adventure Society and the International House of Pancakes.For sure, there were far greater moments with a golf club in his hand.Woods was only a toddler when he first went head-to-head with Sam Snead. It was only two holes, and Woods made bogey on both of them. Now, he is only four victories from breaking Snead’s record for career PGA Tour victories.Woods made his PGA Tour debut at Riviera in the 1992 Nissan Open when he was a 16-year-old junior in high school. He might have made the cut if not for a growth spurt during the week that made the shaft in his driver too short. More on that later.He never won what he often referred to as his “hometown event” at Riviera. He made up for it by winning five times at Sherwood Country Club, and that doesn’t include his win over David Duval at the illustrious “Showdown at Sherwood” in what amounted to Monday Night Golf.Woods returns to Sherwood this week, in effect closing a chapter on golf in the area he always called home.The Tiger Woods Learning Center, a superb complex that recently received a Golden Bell Award for excellence in education, remains his tie to Southern California. And the Tiger Woods Foundation headquarters will stay in Irvine.But he stopped playing Riviera in 2006 after he narrowly made the cut. The only regular event in California that Woods still plays is in Torrey Pines, a two-hour drive from his hometown of Cypress in Orange County. The only time Los Angeles area golf fans could see him play was the World Challenge, a holiday event that attracts an 18-man field of players from the top 50 in the world.This is the last year at Sherwood. Woods is moving the event to Isleworth, his old home in central Florida. Then, it could be headed to the Bahamas.In this Dec. 4, 2011 file photo, Tiger Woods waves his cap after winning the Chevron World Challenge golf tournament at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif. Woods never won what he often referred to as his “hometown event” at Riviera. He made up for it by winning five times at Sherwood Country Club. (AP Photo/Danny Moloshok, File)When he won the Canadian Open in 2000 with that 6-iron out of a bunker and over the water, his late father, Earl, said that day, “In every tournament, he’ll hit shots that people will be talking about for 30 years.”One thing is certain — Woods leaves a trail of stories behind. Here are five from his time in Southern California.TIGER VS. SLAMMIN’ SAMMYWoods was just starting kindergarten when he was invited to join Snead at Calabasas Country Club just north of LA. They played two holes, starting with a par 3. Woods hit into a creek fronting the green, and Snead suggested he just pick it up and drop it.“That kind of ticked me off, so I decided to play it out of the water,” Woods once recalled. “I knocked it on the green and two-putted for my 4.”THE DEBUTWoods missed his first seven cuts on the PGA Tour, starting with the 1992 Nissan Open in his debut at age 16. He opened with a 72 and was in reasonable shape to make the cut until what his father said was a growth spurt. Woods shot 75 the next day and headed back to high school.“I was hitting the ball good the first few days of the week, but then I suddenly outgrew my club shaft,” Woods said a year later.His father said they didn’t figure out what happened until the tournament was over.“He was in a growth cycle, and those teenage muscles just grew overnight,” Earl Woods said.THE END OF RIVIERAA beautiful afternoon off Sunset Boulevard turned nasty without warning, and Woods was on his back nine at Riviera without rain gear in 2006. He bogeyed two of his last three holes for a 74 to presumably miss the cut — until three more players dropped shots coming in and Woods made the cut on the number.He was to be paired Saturday with J.B. Holmes, a big-hitting rookie who had just smashed his way to victory in Phoenix. The next morning, Woods was a no-show. He withdrew because of the flu, and he has not been back to Riviera since.THE POWER MOVEIt was baking hot in August for the “Showdown at Sherwood” in 1999, a nationally televised exhibition against David Duval, who had returned to No. 1 in the world. Because it was not an official PGA Tour event, the caddies wore shorts.A PGA Tour rules official ordered them to change into pants. Duval’s caddie complied. Woods’ caddie, Steve Williams, did not. The rules officials made it clear to Williams that if he did not change into trousers, it would be the last time he caddied on the PGA Tour.Woods, listening to this conversation, interrupted by saying, “Guess I’ll be playing in Europe next year.”Williams wore shorts. Woods won the match. And it wasn’t long before shorts were approved for caddies on the PGA Tour.THE WINOf the five wins at his World Challenge, none was more meaningful than in 2011. One shot behind with two to play, Woods birdied his last two holes to beat Zach Johnson. It was his first win since his personal life came crashing down, a span of 26 official tournaments over 749 days.“If he steadily progresses, keeps getting confidence and moving forward,” Jim Furyk said that day, “he’s going to return and be one of the best players in the game again.”Woods won three times the following year, five times this year. For his swan song at Sherwood, he is No. 1 in the world.last_img read more

Rob Rice Homes and Epic Realty to Host Bloodmobile

first_imgFacebook3Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Rob Rice HomesDid you know that nearly 900 people must donate blood through Puget Sound Blood Center every day to meet the needs of local patients.  And your donation is critical in helping the community maintain a stable blood supply for emergencies.On Wednesday, September 11 from 1:00-4:00 we will be hosting a bloodmobile at the model home of Evergreen Heights, a new home community in Olympia WA developed and built by Rob Rice of Rob Rice Homes.  “Once I found out about the desperate need of donors, I thought this would be an ideal way for us to help.  We are hoping to get many of our sub-contractors, realtor friends, homeowners, friends and family out to donate,” states Helena Rice of Rob Rice Homes.  But, there are only twelve time spots available.Who Needs Blood?  Many patients need blood now.  The major reasons are:Trauma such as injuries and burnsCancerBlood and immune system diseasesSurgeryHeart and blood vessel diseaseOrgan and bone marrow transplantationGiving blood is a safe, easy process.  After a donor registers, Blood Center staff asks about his or her health record, confirms donation eligibility and the collection is done.  From start to finish the process takes less than one hour.Most people can donate blood.  In general, those who are at least 18 years old and weigh 110 pounds or more may donate blood every 56 days.To schedule your time to donate, just click on this link and self-register:https://www.securedata-trans5.com/ap/pugetsoundbloodcenter/index.php?page=10&e_id=7624The address for the bloodmobile is:Evergreen Heights Model Home9003-28th Way Olympia (Marvin Road & Woodgrove)For more information contact: Robbie Christensen (360) 451-5593 or Robbie@robricehomes.com.For information on a Rob Rice Homes new home or community go to: www.robricehomes.comlast_img read more