Bolt’s bid for pro contract in Australia ends without a deal

first_imgLights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Joel Embiid uncorks 41 points as 76ers beat Clippers Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew LATEST STORIES Fifa 98’s Usain Bolt is seen during an exhibition football match between France’s 1998 World Cup’s French football national team and FIFA 98 composed with former international players, to mark the 20th anniversary of France’s 1998 World Cup victory, on June 12, 2018 at the U Arena in Nanterre, near Paris. (Photo by Thomas SAMSON / AFP)GOSFORD, Australia — Usain Bolt’s bid to become a professional soccer player in Australia has ended with the Olympic sprinting great failing to agree on a contract with the Central Coast Mariners.The Mariners announced Friday that Bolt’s indefinite training period with the club “has drawn to an end, effective immediately.”ADVERTISEMENT Australia fires: Battle to save homes in New South Wales PLAY LIST 02:40Australia fires: Battle to save homes in New South Wales00:50Trending Articles03:51BCDA: P13-B deal with Malaysia firm for New Clark City project aboveboard02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments MOST READ Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Central Coast reportedly offered Bolt a contract worth 150,000 Australian dollars ($110,000) and hoped to get a third-party endorsement to increase the package into the millions, but management for the eight-time Olympic gold medalist rejected the offer.“It has been a pleasure to work with Usain as he pursued his desire to become a professional football player,” said Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth. “This has been a mutually beneficial partnership that brought an increased level of excitement and attention to both the Mariners and the A-League.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissBolt, who has never played soccer at an elite level, practiced with the Mariners squad in September and October but only played in some low-level, non-league matches.“I would like to thank the Central Coast Mariners’ owners, management, staff, players and fans for making me feel so welcome during my time there,” Bolt said in a statement released by the club. “I wish the club success for the season ahead.” Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Bolt scored two goals in a trial game but wasn’t included in the squad for the A-League season opener on Oct. 21, when Central Coast had a 1-1 draw in Brisbane. Mariners coach Mike Mulvey said after that match that he wasn’t aware the club had made an offer to Bolt.The 32-year-old Bolt retired from competitive track and field last year and has since explored options in Germany, South Africa, Norway, and Australia to gain a professional soccer contract.His first game for the Mariners, an exhibition against a selection of amateur players, attracted a big crowd, and Bolt’s bid to join the A-League has generated plenty of headlines. But critics questioned Bolt’s ability to play at an elite level and others wrote it off a publicity stunt.ADVERTISEMENT Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownlast_img read more

Wortmanville woman remanded for ganja trafficking

first_imgA 27-year-old Wortmanville, Georgetown woman who was reportedly caught with two kilograms of marijuana was on Wednesday remanded to prison.Anisha Daniels appeared before Magistrate Fabayo Azore at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts to answer to charges of possession of cannabis for the purpose of trafficking. However, when the charge was read to her, Daniels denied that she had the drug in her possession.In an application for bail, Daniels’ attorney informed the court that she occupies the home with her grandparent and seven cousins. He noted that his client was not at home when the illegal substance was found. However, the attorney’s submissions were overruled and Daniels was remanded to prison. The case will continue on March 21.last_img read more